Last week I reconnected with Omar, for another test shoot for Paradis Model Management. Usually when I do a photoshoot with the same model, I want to do something different from the last shoot. So when I had the opportunity to work with him again, I had to refrain myself to take another bus route to the city (where I usually do my shoots) and do something different. I only had a couple days to figure out what I wanted to do before the sending the final information to the model.
After time trying to figure it out what to do, I recently saw a couple photos of photographers using backdrops in a outdoor settings outside. Then it clicked in my mind. Why I didn't think of that? I have my Impact Background Support System with my Savage White Seamless Background Paper from B&H I haven't used in forever and natural light from the Sun. Basically, I have a whole studio in my backyard.
So I went downstairs in the basement to recover my equipment. I first dug up my background system but when it is was time for my seamless paper I had some concern because of the box it was in was soiled, probably from water getting into the basement. After uncovering the box from it my fears came true as I notice the thick roll of paper had deep rooted stains on it reaching all the way down to the core. I'm like Great, What I do?
One option I thought of was to buy another roll of seamless paper from a camera store I usually go to rent but I didn't have the money to spend. So I thought of another option of using an off white linen curtain sheet given to by my job that I wanted to use from my previous photoshoot but I didn't end up using. I was skeptical of using because it was slightly see through but I figure if I had the model step away from the background and played with the settings on the camera, I think I would be okay.
I analyze the socket of the linen sheet to see the poles would fit. Once I figured everything out, I start setting up on the day of the shoot. When we were about to shoot something earlier before told me to bring bug spray for my model and unfortunately when my model stripped down to under garments. He was attacked by a swarm of mosquitoes in a matter of seconds. It gotten so bad that he also got bitten on the face TWICE. I felt so bad. After making a quick run to a near by store and getting some bug spray. I dose him with bug spray and finished off with out first part of the shoot.
We then later finished off the the shoot in a near by gas station a couple blocks away from the house and took the model back home. After looking back at my photos. The photos turned out great. You can't see through the sheet (unless you are pixel peeper). The backdrop I use was wrinkled and can some areas but other than it turned out well. I wish I would've gotten some close up shoots of him standing up but other than that it was successful. Omar's face and body did not go in vein.
This session told me about what a pile of junk, a little creativity and a big imagination can do. After spending hours of finding studio places on Peerspace, I realize have my own personal studio in my own backyard and would probably use it more often for my simplest shoots.
Just note to self bring bug spray.